Members of your Faithlife group will be able to accomplish different tasks based on the role they have in your group. These roles include:
- Follower - someone who has chosen to follow your group but cannot post on the group page or send messages within the group;
- Member - someone who can actively participate in the life of the group by posting on the group page, sending messages to others, and interacting with the group’s content;
- Moderator - someone who can configure group settings and permissions;
- Administrator - someone who can make changes to the group itself, invite new members, grant others the administrator status, etc.
But before you can assign people to a new role, they need to be connected to your group.
To learn how to invite currently unconnected people to your group, see our article on the topic.
As an Administrator of your group, you can change people’s roles through the Directory or from an individual’s Person Record.
From the Directory, click the icon at the far right of the individual’s row, then select the role you want that person to hold within your group.
From someone’s Person Record, click the Group Role dropdown and select the appropriate role.
Roles, Teams, and Subgroups
Roles within your group are distinct from roles in your subgroups, which means, for example, that an Admin of your group isn’t automatically a member of your Finance Team and the Admin of your Finance Team doesn’t have to be an Admin for the whole group. For example, an executive pastor wants to be able to manage the Faithlife Group but doesn’t want access to his congregants’ giving: assign him as a group admin, but not as a member of the finance team. Or, imagine a worship pastor who needs to manage the group itself and the presentation team: make her an admin of both the group and the presentation team.
To fill roles within your subgroups or teams, you’ll first need to invite people to join that particular subgroup or team.
To do this, navigate back to the team page before clicking the Invite link at the top of the team’s page.
From here you can invite:
- An individual by name if she already has a Faithlife account.
- An individual by email address if she doesn’t already have a Faithlife account. The recipient will be prompted to create a free Faithlife account once they get your invitation.
- A Faithlife Group by name (if you select this option, each member of the group will get an invitation, but followers of the group will not. Those who join the Faithlife Group after your invitation has been sent will not receive one when they join.)
As with roles in your group, roles within your subgroups have different privileges and responsibilities. To change a team member’s role, start by clicking the Members tab in the sidebar. Then, tick the boxes for any members whose role you wish to make the same change to (ie. change the role for all selected members from moderator to administrator), and click the Actions dropdown.
Select the change you wish to make and click it to apply the change immediately.