Watch the Faithlife Live Stream Webinar (12:16)
With Faithlife Live Stream, you can livestream your church service and share it on your website, in your Faithlife Group, and on Faithlife TV. You can configure your stream to show your sermon slides from Proclaim, a video of your pastor, or both simultaneously.
Skip ahead to:
- Prerequisites to Streaming
- Step 1: Configure Faithlife Live Stream
- Step 2: Configure Proclaim and go On Air
- Step 3: Configure Open Broadcaster Software (OBS)
- Step 4: Start Your Stream
- Step 5: Share Your Livestream
- Step 6: Stop your Livestream
- Step 7: Find Your Recorded Live Stream
Prerequisites to Streaming
- Audio: Connect a microphone to your computer. If you are presenting from home, you can use the mic on your computer.
- Video: Connect an external camera to your computer and point it at the stage. If you want to stream your sermon from home, you can use your computer’s webcam.
- Two monitors (recommended): To livestream your slides, you will need to capture Proclaim’s output. It’s easiest to manage if you can set one display to show your Proclaim slides and the other to show OBS. It is possible with one Monitor on Mac, but you’ll need to be familiar with full-screen windows and Spaces.
Step 1: Configure Faithlife Live Stream
- Navigate to your Faithlife group on Faithlife.com.
- In the admin panel, expand Settings and select Faithlife TV.
- In the Live Stream section, click Add.
- Add details to your stream.
To provide a more customized featured image, click Change image. Provide a title and description for your livestream and select whether you want it to be publicly available or limited to members of your group. In the Provider dropdown menu, select Faithlife Live Stream. Click Save.
Note: Faithlife auto-generates both an RTMP URL and a Stream Key (if this doesn’t appear right away, refresh the page). Keep this page open as you’ll copy and paste these into OBS (your encoder).
Step 2: Configure Proclaim and go On Air
Launch Proclaim and sign in if prompted.
- Expand File and open your presentation (or create a new one).
- Configure your monitors
Expand the Settings menu and select Displays. Set your second monitor to Slides.
Note: Learn more about configuring display outputs in Proclaim.
- Go On Air
Click the red On Air button to start presenting.
Step 3: Configure Open Broadcaster Software (OBS)
OBS is a free video encoding software that enables live streaming. You will use it to capture Proclaim, your audio, and your video and send it to Faithlife TV.
Note: We recommend OBS because it’s free and easy to use, but this Faithlife Live Stream will work with other software and hardware encoders as well.
- Download Open Broadcaster Software.
Go to obsproject.com, select your operating system, and click Download Installer. Follow the instructions to install the software.
Note: For more information and troubleshooting help for OBS, visit the OBS Wiki.
- Add your stream details in OBS.
With OBS installed and open, click Settings.
Click Stream in the left panel and make these adjustments:
- Change the Service dropdown to Custom…
- Copy and paste the RTMP URL from your Faithlife Live Stream configuration page and paste it into the Server field.
- Copy the Stream Key from your Faithlife Live Stream configuration page and paste it into the Stream Key field.
Click OK to secure your settings.
- Configure your audio source.
Along the bottom of OBS, in the Sources area click the plus button and select Audio Capture Device.
If your audio input shows in the Add Existing list, select it and click OK. If it doesn’t appear, create a new audio input with your desired name and click OK.
Select your input and click OK.
Note: You can change the mic in Settings > Audio if needed.
- Add your Proclaim slides.
Note: You can capture slides from any presentation software with OBS. If you’re using something other than Proclaim, you can still follow these steps below. Instead of selecting Proclaim as your window capture source, select your presentation software program.
Along the bottom of OBS, in the Sources area click the plus button and select Window Capture.
In the dialog that appears, give your window capture the name Proclaim. Click OK. Check the box, “Show Windows with empty names” and then select Faithlife Proclaim from the Window dropdown. Click OK.
Note: If the Proclaim window title says "(null)", check your security settings to make sure OBS has screen recording privileges.
Note: If you see multiple Faithlife Proclaim windows in the dropdown, click through them until you find your Slides output.
Your slides might be too large or too small. In OBS, you can click and drag their corners to resize and position them.
- Add a live video source (optional).
Along the bottom of OBS, in the Sources area click the plus button and select Video Capture Device.
Follow the prompts to name your video capture device, click OK and select your desired camera from the Devices dropdown. Click OK.
Step 4: Start Your Stream
In OBS, click Start Streaming.
Note: As soon as you start streaming, Faithlife Live Stream also begins recording in the background.
You can create multiple scenes in the bottom-left Scenes panel to easily switch between different configurations. For instance, add one scene showing only your video output, another one for only slides, and a third showing your slides and the video in the lower right. While streaming, select a scene to smoothly transition between one scene and the next.
Note: It can take up to several minutes between the time you start streaming and the time it becomes available to viewers. You can check the stream status on the Faithlife TV Settings on Faithlife.com.
Step 5: Share Your Livestream
Make your live stream available to your viewers in several places:
Note: Remember, in order to share the link to those outside your group, you need to set your live stream feed settings to Publicly Available.
On Faithlife TV
- Your Faithlife TV configuration page (in your Faithlife group) contains a direct link to your live stream on FaithlifeTV.com. Anyone can visit this link to watch your livestream.
Members of your Faithlife group can use their preferred TV device to navigate to your church’s Faithlife TV channel and watch your livestream. Learn more.
On Your Website
- If you have a Faithlife Site, your livestream will automatically appear in your livestream widget. Learn more.
You can embed your livestream on any website using the embed code provided in the Faithlife TV configuration page. Copy the embed code, then paste it into your website. Learn more.
In Your Church Group on Faithlife.com
Your livestream also has a dedicated page in your Faithlife group. This is accessible to anyone who is a member of your Faithlife group. To access it:
- Navigate to your church group on Faithlife.com
- Expand the Content section in the left sidebar.
- Click Live Stream.
Step 6: Stop your Livestream
To stop the live stream, click Stop Streaming in OBS.
Step 7: Find Your Recorded Live Stream
Though it will take several minutes, Faithlife Live Stream will automatically upload your recording to your Group's file vault. To find your recordings, expand the Content field and click Videos.
This will open your file vault to all of the video files you've uploaded. Once the upload has completed, your most recent recording will appear at the top.