You can show your Proclaim slides with any live streaming service. You can configure your stream to show your sermon slides from Proclaim, a video of your pastor, or both simultaneously.
Note: In addition to Proclaim and OBS (which this article will discuss), you also need a live streaming platform. We've written specific guides to help you set up a live stream with Proclaim and Faithlife Live Stream, YouTube, Facebook, or Vimeo. If you are using another service, this article should help guide your set up.
Skip ahead to:
- Prerequisites to Streaming
- 1: Configure Proclaim and go On Air
- 2: Configure Open Broadcaster Software (OBS)
- 3: Start Your Stream
- 4: Stop your Live Stream
- 5: Share Your Recorded Live Stream
Prerequisites to Streaming
- Audio: Connect a microphone to your computer. If you are presenting from home, you can use the mic on your computer.
- Video: Connect an external camera to your computer and point it at the stage. If you want to stream your sermon from home, you can use your computer’s webcam.
- Two monitors (recommended): To live stream your slides, you will need to capture Proclaim’s output. It’s easiest to manage if you can set one display to show your Proclaim slides and the other to show OBS. It is possible with one Monitor on Mac, but you’ll need to be familiar with full-screen windows and Spaces.
Note: We recommend at least 5 mbps upload speed to live stream. Here’s the quickest way to find your speed.
1. Configure Proclaim and go On Air
Launch Proclaim and sign in if prompted.
- Expand File and open your presentation (or create a new one).
- Configure your monitors
Expand the Settings menu and select Displays. Set your second monitor to Slides.
Note: Learn more about configuring display outputs in Proclaim.
- Go On Air
Click the red On Air button to start presenting.
2. Configure Open Broadcaster Software (OBS)
OBS is a free video encoding software that enables live streaming. You will use it to capture Proclaim, your audio, and your video and send it to your streaming service.
Note: We recommend OBS because it’s free and easy to use, but Proclaim will work with other software and hardware encoders as well.
- Download Open Broadcaster Software.
Go to obsproject.com, select your operating system, and click Download Installer. Follow the instructions to install the software.
Note: For more information and troubleshooting help for OBS, visit the OBS Wiki.
- Add your stream details in OBS.
With OBS installed and open, click Settings.
Click Stream in the left panel and make these adjustments:
- Change the Service dropdown to Custom…
- Copy the RTMP URL from your streaming service and paste it into the Server field.
- Copy the Stream Key from your streaming service and paste it into the Stream Key field.
Click OK to secure your settings.
- Configure your audio source.
Along the bottom of OBS, in the Sources area click the plus button and select Audio Capture Device.
If your audio input shows in the Add Existing list, select it and click OK. If it doesn’t appear, create a new audio input with your desired name and click OK.
Select your input and click OK.
Note: You can change the mic in Settings > Audio if needed.
- Add your Proclaim slides.
Note: You can capture slides from any presentation software with OBS. If you’re using something other than Proclaim, you can still follow these steps below. Instead of selecting Proclaim as your window capture source, select your presentation software program.
Along the bottom of OBS, in the Sources area click the plus button and select Window Capture.
In the dialog that appears, give your window capture the name Proclaim. Click OK. Check the box, “Show Windows with empty names” and then select Faithlife Proclaim from the Window dropdown. Click OK.
Note: If the Proclaim window title says "(null)", check your security settings to make sure OBS has screen recording privileges.
Note: If you see multiple Faithlife Proclaim windows in the dropdown, click through them until you find your Slides output.
Your slides might be too large or too small. In OBS, you can click and drag their corners to resize and position them.
- Add a live video source (optional).
Along the bottom of OBS, in the Sources area click the plus button and select Video Capture Device.
Follow the prompts to name your video capture device, click OK and select your desired camera from the Devices dropdown. Click OK.
Did you know? You can add lower thirds and other overlays from Proclaim over your live video feed. Learn more.
3. Start Your Stream
In OBS, click Start Streaming.
Note: If your streaming service doesn't automatically record your stream, you can set OBS to record a local copy of your service whenever you go live.
You can create multiple scenes in the bottom-left Scenes panel to easily switch between different configurations. For instance, add one scene showing only your video output, another one for only slides, and a third showing your slides and the video in the lower right (picture-in-picture). While streaming, select a scene to smoothly transition between one scene and the next. Learn more about using Scenes in OBS.
Note: It can take up to several minutes between the time you start streaming and the time it becomes available to viewers depending on your streaming service.
4. Stop your Live Stream
To stop the live stream, click Stop Streaming in OBS.
5. Share Your Recorded Live Stream
Upload your recorded video to your church group's File Vault to easily share it in your Faithlife TV channel, in your Faithlife group, on your website, and more. Go to Faithlife.com and select your church group in the sidebar. Expand Content and select Videos. Click Upload files and upload your recorded service.
Once the recording finishes uploading, hover your cursor over the preview and click the View asset details icon.
While viewing the video file, click Share.
Choose a sharing platform from the icons on the left or copy the URL to share a direct link.
Note: Learn more about sharing your recorded sermon, including posting publicly-accessible videos on your website and on Faithlife TV.