You can upload your own videos to your group’s shared file vault to share them with the video widget. Uploading your own content is the ideal way to share content across Faithlife—in your Faithlife group, on your Faithlife TV church channel, and on your Faithlife Site.
Note: If you want to upload a video hosted somewhere else on the internet (e.g., YouTube, Vimeo, etc.), click here.
1. Upload your video(s).
Go to Faithlife.com and sign in. Select your church group in the left-hand sidebar. Once viewing your church group, expand Content and select Videos.
Click Upload and add your file from your computer.
Note: The video widget support all standard video formats, including MOV, MP4, WMV, and AVI.
When the video finishes uploading and processing, add a title and description. To display your video properly, consider a few other important adjustments:
- Tags: tag your video so you can create a smart filter (shown above).
- Status: Change to Published (you video will not play without this change).
- Can View settings: Change to Public if you want your video to be playable for for the public (i.e., if you don’t want to limit your video to members of your church group on Faithlife.com who are signed into their account while viewing your website).
Note: It is important to ensure that all of the content you upload is properly titled and tagged, and that the correct permissions are set. Widgets display any content that meets the criteria you set. If you upload content at a later date that meets the filter you’ve set, it will be displayed in the widget. Learn more about uploading, tagging, and setting permissions for files in this article.
2. Add a video widget to your site.
As an admin of your church group on Faithlife.com, go to your website, sign in, and click Edit Site. Click the blue add widget icon on your desired webpage and choose the Video widget.
3. Customize the widget.
Configure the video widget to fit your needs.
- Title: a heading for the widget
- Layout: some layouts including additional options
- Create smart filter: limit which videos show in your widget (shown below)
- Amount and type: choose how many videos and/or photos display that match your filter settings
- Show titles: display video titles
- Show descriptions: display video descriptions
- Play videos in place: play the videos as they appear (i.e., without opening the video in a large lightbox)
4. Create smart filter (and upload videos if necessary)
Click Create smart filter to customize which videos display in your widget. (If you haven’t uploaded your video yet, you can do it from the smart filter window: click Upload.) Search for your desired content. The best way to isolate particular content is with tags. For instance, the three videos below all share the tag “livestream,” making it easy to isolate them. Click Done to set your filter.
Note: Remember, this filter is live. In the future, if any other videos match your filter criteria, they will display in your widget automatically.
5. Confirm your widget settings.
Once you’re happy with your widget settings, click Done to finalize your changes. If you configured a smart filter, future content will automatically show in your widget if it matches the filter settings. Click Publish changes to make your changes live.
Pro Tip: If you want to see how your videos display for the public, open a private browsing tab (Ctrl + Shift + n on Windows or ⌘ Cmd + Shift + n on macOS) and navigate to your website. If you want your videos to display for the public (i.e., if you don’t want to limit your videos to members of your church group on Faithlife.com who are signed into their account while viewing your website), make sure you’ve set the video(s) Can view privileges to Public and that the status for the video(s) is set to Published.